Friday, November 02, 2007
Westboro Baptist Church Nailed
With Almost $11 Million Judgment
On Wednesday, a federal judge in Baltimore awarded $10.9 Million dollars to Al Snyder who had sued the Westboro Cult for defamation, invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Cult leader, Fred Phelps said of the judgment, "This will elevate me to something important.This was an act of futility." He added, the case was about "putting a preacher on trial for what he preaches."
That's right Fred, it was about putting a
I've written about the Cult in the past. They are a small in number group of
Fred thinks the judgment will be reversed? Perhaps...perhaps. I'm not a betting man or a prognosticator, but I would say he's wrong. If he's lucky, maybe the judgment will be reduced in amount. But I don't think Al Snyder cares about the money. Like any parent who loses a son or a daughter, he'd give it all up - and then some - to have their child back.
The judgment against the Westboro Baptist Cult is about sending a message. The judgment sets a precedent that the hate speech spewed by Phelps and his cult will not be tolerated. Nothing will hurt the Westboro Baptist Cult more than silencing them.
Labels: Westboro Cult
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.