Saturday, September 15, 2007
Margaux Restaurant Closes in St. Paul
Margaret Doran closed her 19-month-old Margaux bistro at 9th and Robert Street today and is looking to sell. "I wanted to keep it open," she said. "But I didn't want to go into too much debt waiting for it to get busy."
It's the third closing of a high-profile downtown restaurant this summer. Fhima's closed in June. A Rebours folded last week. And now Margaux - the French bistro Doran started in White Bear Lake and eventually brought to downtown St. Paul.
Doran is concentrating on selling the restaurant. "Someone could come in here and not have to do a thing," she said.
Doran isn't sure what she will do next but says she's through with the restaurant business. "I did all my crying last night," she said. "Now I'm figuring out how to pull the pieces together and move on."
When all is said and done, and St. Paul is returned to what is was like in the early 1800s - bereft of virtually any human activity, be sure to thank these do-gooders.
If you think businesses, especially restaurants and bars are closing at a record pace now, just wait until the October 1 "NO SMOKING BAN ANYWHERE" goes into effect.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.