Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Jackson Says Obama "acting white."
From The State.com:
Jackson sharply criticized presidential hopeful and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for “acting like he’s white” in what Jackson said has been a tepid response to six black juveniles’ arrest on attempted-murder charges in Jena, La. Jackson, who also lives in Illinois, endorsed Obama in March, according to The Associated Press.
“If I were a candidate, I’d be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.
“Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment,” said the iconic civil rights figure, who worked with Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1965 Selma civil rights movement and was with King at his 1968 assassination.
Later, Jackson said he did not recall making the “acting like he’s white” comment about Obama, stressing he only wanted to point out the candidates had not seized on an opportunity to highlight the disproportionate criminal punishments black youths too often face.
Jackson also said Obama, who consistently has placed second in state and national polls behind New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, must be “bolder” in his political positions if he is to erase Clinton’s lead.
Jackson is the only African-American ever to carry South Carolina in a presidential primary election.
Crime is crime, allegations are allegations and verdicts from a trial is how our justice system works when convicting someone guilty beyond a reasonable doubt; O.J. Simpson and Phil Spector notwithstanding. I believe all criminals should be treated the same, no matter their color, race, gender, ethnicity or level of wealth - or lack of it. We all remember Jackson basically concluding the Duke Lacrosse team was guilty before their trial had even begun. I have consistently written in the Gopher Rape series that we all need to refrain from judgement and let the legal system take its course. Jackson prefers to leap to conclusions based only on race.
There is one hiiiiiiiiii-larious part of this story: 22 minutes into his Liberal Talk Show today, Fat Ed Schultz had a fit over this Jackson-Obama story, angry that the Democrats have to talk about issues like this in public rather than settling it behind closed doors.
Awwwwwwwwwwww, poor Fat Ed - Dems can't keep their spats private? "Oh.Dat's.So.Sad." I'm sure if this was a public spat between Republicans, Ed would have gleefully reported on it with his trademark hayseed chuckle.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.