Monday, August 06, 2007
Utah Coal Miners Trapped In Collapse
Six coal miners in Utah are trapped after a tunnel collapsed.
While early reports tied the tunnel collapse to a precipitating earthquake, there now seems to be a consensus that the collapse itself was mistaken for an earthquake.
From ABC News:
Six miners were trapped in a coal mine Monday by a cave-in so powerful that authorities initially thought it was small earthquake.
Hours after the cave-in, searchers had been unable to contact the miners and could not be sure whether they were dead or alive. If they survived, a mine executive said, they could have enough air and water to last several days.
Rescue teams are working to free six miners trapped after a tunnel in a coal mine gave way in the western US state of Utah, local authorities said.
The collapse at the Genwal mine at about 0400 (0900 GMT) was so powerful it was mistaken for a small earthquake.
Scientists later said a 4.0 magnitude seismic recording was actually caused by the disturbance at the mine, the Associated Press news agency said.
The mine is 140 miles (225km) south of Salt Lake City.
Emery County sheriff's office said: "Rescue workers are on scene trying to locate six miners that are unaccounted for."
No contact had yet been made with the miners, who were thought to be 1,500ft (457m) below ground.
Authorities have been unable to confirm the number of workers underground at the time of the collapse.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, as always.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.