Monday, April 16, 2007
Virginia Tech - Blacksburg Shootings
A US shooting rampage at the Virginia Tech university has left 33 people, including a suspected gunman, dead.
There were two incidents two hours apart, at a student dorm where two were killed and at an engineering building where 30 and the gunman died.
"I chose not to go to campus early this morning. We have been notified of the first incident very quickly and advised to stay indoors and exercise caution. One of my friends was teaching a class in Norris Hall, where the second incident took place. She sent me an email and an instant message saying she met with the shooter by accident and was nearly shot. She succeeded in barricading herself along with other students in one of the classrooms and as far as I know she is now safe."
"This has been quite a surreal and grim morning for us all. We had a shooter on campus on the first day of campus and now this."
"Apparently it all began around 0700 this morning, when the gunman shot and killed one person on the fourth floor. He may have shot other people in the dorm too. Now the police are telling us at least 22 people have been killed (counting the shooter himself)."
Other top coverage can be found at the following web sites of select Virginia Television Stations:
WVEC, Hampton Roads,
WUSA - DC, Virginia, Maryland,
and at The Collegiate Times, the twice weekly student paper of Virginia Tech.
Labels: V Tech
I didn't say or reply that there was anything intrinsic to Blacksburg that makes it a magnet for violent crime. Why and how do you get that impression from me listing a handful of various news sites covering the most important and sad story of the day?
"Testosterone-fueled mayhem..." you've got to be kidding...if you're serious about that statement, may I suggest having your doctor up the dosages.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.