Friday, August 04, 2006
BWCA: Burn Baby Burn, Disco Inferno
Nearly three weeks after its first spark, a wildfire that started in the blowdown area of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness has been mostly contained - and officials say the threat of another major fire near the Gunflint Trail has been greatly reduced.
"There is still an opportunity that a fire like this could occur elsewhere in the blowdown, given the right conditions."
Are you happy that your courtroom battles for the past six years prevented private loggers from entering the BWCA to clear out the dead and dry timber that now burns? Are you happy that the fires continue burning? Are you happy with all the resources, money and manpower going to fight this fire that maybe could have been avoided had there been some reasonable culling of the deadwood?
Are you happy and pleased that dead wood and timber from a storm in 1999 is now burning because you were against logging:
The fire started July 14 in the so-called blowdown area of the BWCA, where a 1999 storm toppled millions of trees - which initially fueled the fire - over about 500 square miles. The fire has cost close to $6.37 million to fight.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.